Four Wheel Drive Skills and Awareness Safety Training
Do you use a Four Wheel Drive for work or personal use? There is a lot to learn about the different functions, techniques, and procedures of a 4x4. Our Training is informative, engaging, and a lot of fun!
- Improved traction and handling
- Able to transmit torque to all four wheels
- Higher initial cost and weight
- Requires special service and maintenance
We offer training Face-to-Face as a full-day Competency-Based training for both first time trainees and for experienced workers needing refreshers. For those who are experienced and just need a quick refresher however, we can also offer this training Online.
We run this course as a Private, Company-Specific Training.
Private, Company-Specific Training
Our Private, Company-Specific course is perfect if you have a group of up to 6 people. We can tailor-make this course to suit your team's needs, and we can incorporate any of your own procedures. Prices for this start at $3,050.00 + GST, for up to 6 people. This is generally held at our training centre in Whangarei, Northland, and we travel out to specific training areas. Contact us if you would like to book this for your team. Two-day advanced training is available upon request.
Trainees must hold a full or restricted class 1 license. Trainees must provide their own 4WD.
We also have Four Wheel Drive Training online. Online training is a good supplement to practical experience and competency, and can be a way to gain knowledge and understanding before or after practical training. It is a great way to learn about the training and all the course content before or after discussions with our trainer(s). It can also be used as an effective safety and awareness training refresher and in large scale or rapid roll-out training situations. Online Training in some cases may not be suitable and it is up to the individual or management to decide when and where it is appropriate.
The cost for this is $169.00 + GST and it takes approximately 30-60 minutes to complete. Trainees can access the training on their own time whenever suits them. They will receive login details and instructions on how to access the course. It contains a mix of visual and written information in an interactive format, and there is a quiz to complete. Trainees must receive a 90% pass-rate to be able to download their certificate.
This course is aimed at ensuring four wheel drive operators can understand and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attributes for all essential areas covered under the full “best practice” guidelines for four wheel drive operation in the workplace. This includes being able to drive a four wheel drive over varied terrain safely, effectively and responsibly. Driving techniques that minimise negative impact upon the environment are encouraged.
The course includes a combination of theory and practical sessions including the following features:
- Operating a 4WD vehicle in an off-road situation
- Safety requirements
- Driver ability and awareness and passenger safety
- Vehicle designs and operating systems including current vehicle technology
- Preparing a vehicle for use – including pre-start and shutdown
- Hazard identification and safety assessment specific to terrain
- Terrain formation and composition recognition including driving techniques to utilise
- Recovery from a stall while climbing
- Stability dynamics
- Water crossings
- Negotiating uneven terrain, hill ascents, descents, traverse driving, and related difficulties
- Understanding vehicle movement utilising traction, momentum, gravity and centrifugal force combinations
- Explain driving hazards and risk reduction strategies, techniques and responses to driving hazards
- Introduction to winching and towing using ropes, strops and snatch
- Introduction to recovery techniques and equipment
- Introduction to towing trailers both on and off-road including towing of loads
- Introduction to defensive driving and driver awareness
Please note: This training does not issue Unit Standards
We can also cover Quad Bikes, LUVs, UTVs, Side by Side's, or anything else your team may work on regularly.
NOTE: This training is not for licensing and does not issue Unit Standards.
If you have any questions about this course, get in touch and one of our friendly team can help you, or you can book onto our course online.
Training 4 Safety Limited will take every step possible to ensure no damage is made to your vehicles while training with us, however, accidents can happen. By booking onto this course, you accept we do not take any responsibility for damage that may occur to your vehicles while you are training with us.